Institute of Materials, Minerals & Mining
As library removal experts, Specialised Movers were asked to complete the IOM3 Library Relocation of Rare Stock from London to Grantham, providing special care packing and shelving services.
Phase 1: Library
Relocation of rare library stock from 1 Carlton House Terrace, London, SW1Y 5DB to Priest Court, Grantham, NG31 7BG.
- Stock removed from high level period storage system.
- Wrap and pack library collection in sequential order, relocate to new location unpack, unwrap and re-shelve.
A layer of Plastazote™ foam or large-bubbled bubble-wrap in the bottom of each crate used, to reduce vibration:
- Items with particular sensitivities required specially-made packing cases to give maximum protection against environmental changes and vibration during transit.
Books and bound archive material:
- Rare books, loose archival material or bindings with torn or flaking covering wrapped in acid-free tissue, to prevent abrasion and loss of material, and to provide some cushioning during transit.
- Tissue-wrapped books, laid flat in bubble-wrap lined crates.
- Once the crate is full, excess space packed out with bubble-wrap.
- Books too large to fit into crates, individually wrapped first in acid free tissue and then in at least two layers of bubble-wrap and placed in open stacking trays.
Phase 2: Art & rare items from to store
Removal of art collection and rare artefacts.
- 200 pictures and paintings individual wrapped, packed, inventoried and removed to store.
- 40 Large rare portraits. (wall mounted).
- Bessemer clock, base (marble) and statue (bronze lady) Dismantle to 6 components (approx. 9ft) to Individual bespoke cases/crates.
- 2 x War Memorials (approx. 350/370kg).
- Each item numbered, documented & photographed.
- Individual bespoke cases/crates made.
- Removal from walls (scaffold & lifting equipment).
- Wrapped and cased/crated.
- Transported to store facility.
Phase 3: Return/delivery to new location 297 Euston Road, London, NW1 3AQ
Returned on a call off basis (customer requesting individual items by number).
Many of the smaller pictures/paintings delivered to customer storage area.
Large rare portraits: re-hung and positioned to customers request throughout building.
- Wall & celling fittings required.
- Scaffold & lifting equipment.
War Memorials (370kg) required between 3rd/4th floor landing and wall mounted/fixed.
- Stair climbing equipment required with lifting rig for final fix.
Bessemer clock, base (marble) and statue (bronze lady)
- Returned, delivered tiled floor area, unpacked, rebuilt and positioned.